In the past unless it was Walleye or sushi I wouldn’t eat very much fish because of the strong flavor. Until last week when a friend took us fishing and told us about this method to prep the Rainbow trout before cooking, it tasted fantastic!
Rainbow Trout Preparation
- Remove bones – both belly and center strip of bones (Y bone)
- Remove all of the fat, especially the brown layer between skin and meat including center strip on each fillet leaving just salmon colored meat!
- Soak in dill pickle juice for 5-8minutes in zip lock bag agitate every couple minutes (or mustard)
- Rinse in cold water, notice that the meat has picked up highlighted greenish edges from the pickle juice and now has a lighter color resulting in mild fish smell
- Pat dry with paper towels
- Refrigerate until ready to use or cook in desired manner
Trout Taco Recipe
6 – 6oz. trout fillets or whatever amount you have
¼ t. salt
¼ t. black pepper
1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs or plain dry bread crumbs
¼ t. garlic powder
¼ t. ground red pepper
4 egg whites
Vegetable cooking spray
- Combine salt, black pepper, panko, garlic powder and red pepper in a shallow dish.
- Whisk egg whites in a shallow bowl until frothy.
- Dip fillets in egg whites and the dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Spray cooking spray onto a baking sheet and arrange fillets
- Bake at 375° until desired doneness (until light and flaky time depends on size of fillet, ours where small for tacos so we baked for 12 minutes) larger pieces of fish would bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Serve on tortilla with choice of toppings
We used cabbage, shredded cheddar, avocado, olives, salsa and sour cream. I made a low fat white sauce with nonfat sour cream, lemon juice and lots of red pepper.
Fresh lemons or limes are nice to squeeze over top of taco.